I've been using twitterfeed as a means to broaden my scope of readers generally because I'm trying to generate more conversations with others about things that really interest me. The cool thing about using twitterfeed is that it is an easy way for me to quickly broadcast my blog entries and to top it off, it uses snipurl which is pretty handy. The reason why I like snipurl is that it allows me to claim my links and then provide me with information about the number of clicks and the number of unique clicks. However, because of the way it does a redirect, Google Analytics does not know how to identify the source. So I decided to suffix my URLs with tags to help me figure out where it's coming from.
The strategy was simple but the trick was trying to find a way to do this without generating new code for it. I tried looking around snipurl and twitterfeed to see if they had any means of accomplishing this. snipurl had a way of modifying your snipr link by tagging it which wasn't useful to me in this scenario and twitterfeed had the ability to prefix text like "Thinking about [blog entry topic]" but didn't have a way of suffixing a url. While in the room with my developers, someone mentioned Yahoo Pipes which I've heard of before, played with it a little bit and had very little success to it. I decided to give it a try. After a couple of hours, I have success. So I'm going to give it a go with this blog entry. Hopefully this will give me some more insight as to how effective twitter really is.