One of the things that I really enjoy about running my own site is that I'm constantly learning new things about the technology I choose to deploy. I love Blogengine.net but one of the frustrations that I was previously left to deal with was that in my migration was that I haven't gotten around to dealing with remnant links from Google search that would just blow up if you hit the site. So for instance, if you did a search for Kelvin Kang Blog on Google, one of the entries you would find is for instance www.thekunit.com/Blog/tabid/36/BlogDate/2006-04-30/DateType/month/Default.aspx and that would inadvertantly blow up. So I finally got around to fixing it today. The fix was relatively simple – all I had to do was to modify the root web.config file on the webserver to the following:
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="/error404.aspx">
<error statusCode="403" redirect="/error404.aspx"/>
<error statusCode="404" redirect="/error404.aspx"/>
Another thing I've been playing with was trying to play around with Google's Webmaster Tools. I chose to use the HTML verification method. I could click on the appropriate link and it would display "Hello World!" as that was the text I put in but for whatever reason, Google still kept spitting up with an error that said "We've detected that your 404 (file not found) error page returns a status of 200 (Success) in the header." It took me a bit of digging and finally discovered that the solution was relatively simple. All I had to do was to go to IIS, go to my web site, click on Custom Errors and change all of my 404 errors to the IIS default. That fixed the problem.
Special thanks to Dave Burke's SEO page as it helped fixed the first problem. The original page can be found here. You've got to love Google 😀