I recently started to play around with Pentaho again for a side project at work and found that it was crashing whenever I tried to edit the database connection details. After doing a number of searches, I came across this Jira ticket in Pentaho. The gist of it is that El Capitan is not officially supported and causes Data Integration to crash. Fortunately there’s a fix out there that seems to work.
The fix is to replace one of the required files for it to work. To do that,
- Download the following patch from Pentaho
- Backup the pentaho-xul-swt-22.214.171.124-353.jar that you can find in the lib directory of where you installed Pentaho. In my case, I copied it to the desktop
- Rename the downloaded file from step 1 to pentaho-xul-swt-126.96.36.199-353.jar
- Copy it to the lib directory of where you installed Pentaho Data Integration app
- Restart the Data Integration app